Slide Show - Images (mostly) from The Illustrated History of Painting

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER FORMAT SLIDE SHOW

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Child Holding Potato

                                     Giovanni Bellini


Child Holding Potato

When my sister got her diagnosis,
I bought an airplane ticket


but to another city, where I stared
at paintings that seemed victorious


in their relation to time.
The beech from two hundred years ago,


its trunk a palette of mud
and gilt. The man with olive-black


gloves, the sky behind him
a glacier of blue light. In their calm


landscapes, the saints. Still dripping
the garden’s dew, the bouquets.


Holding the rough gold orb
of a potato, the Child cradled


by the glowing Madonna. Then,
the paintings I looked at the longest:


the bowls of plums and peaches,
the lemons, the pomegranates


like red earths. In my mouth,
the raw starch. In my mouth, the dirt.


- Rick Barot